Clothing - Overland Tours
You will be on the move quite a bit so we suggest that you pack lightly. The lockers we provide on the overland trucks are about 70 litres (H:330mm, L:700mm W:540mm) and this is the only space for storage so please keep your luggage to this size.
Please note that we recommend you pack for warm days and cool nights. Even in summer the evenings can cool down quite a lot.
Our overland tours require that you bring your own sleeping bag. We provide your tent and sleeping mat (tents have built in Mosquito nets.)
The terrain is quite difficult and we suggest you bring comfortable, rugged hiking boots. You may want to bring gaiters as well. The area can be muddy and slippery especially if you are trekking in the wet season. The items of clothing you wear for trekking may not come back in their original state so bring clothing you do not mind getting dirty/wet. Neutral colours will need to be worn for this trek.
- Itemized list for overland tours:
- Waterproof jacket/pants (if travelling in rainy season)
- Sleeping bag/small pillow
- Fleece/warm top
- Small towel
- Swim wear
- Sun hat/sun block/sunglasses
- Shirts long and short sleeve
- Hiking/trekking pants
- Hiking boots/sturdy walking shoes
- Flip flops/thongs/Jandals/slops
- Short/long pants
- Smart outfit/dress
- Underwear (girls –include a sports bra)
- Watch (alarm clock)
- Water bottle
- Flashlight/head torch (bring extra batteries)
- First aid kit
- Toiletries (supplies for most things can be replenished enroute but Western brands may not be available)
- Spectacles/contact lenses (the dust can be relentless, if you wear contacts we suggest you bring glasses for these days on tour.)
Most people make the mistake of bring too much! Clothing you bring should be easy to launder and hard wearing. There will be an opportunity to do washing at most campsites.
Acacia is working with a registered NPO in Cape Town called SAVE (South Africa Volunteer experience.) This organization helps assist, develop and uplift the local disadvantaged communities in and around Blouberg, Cape Town. Our office is located in this area and we are helping by donating any items left behind on our trucks. If you bring too much and want to make a donation please let your tour leader know.